1) From the amount and number of trade rumors we've been hearing from our voluminous sources through out the league we feel we are getting very close to a relative explosion of deals. The word on the street is that the Conroy trade, as minor as it is may have been, helped push a few reticent GMs over the edge and who may want to move now rather than wait till the deadline in 4 weeks. After all, another month and 10-15 games later could be the difference between watching and participating in late April hockey. And the playoffs is what makes the big dollars for teams
2) On that front since we last discussed this issue it appears that there are now a few more teams that are looking like they will be sellers. In the West Phoenix despite their recent better play finds themselves 10 points out of a spot and thus Mike Barnett is now listening more intently to offers. As we at FAUXRUMORS have stated a few times, the front runners to a Phoenix sell off are the N.Y. Rangers. Glen Sather covets impending UFA, Shane Doan. the hold up is what Barnett has been asking. Sather has been reluctant to trade any of his top prospects and instead would prefer to deal away a combination of picks, and/or a 3rd/4th line roster player. Doan will be sought after by many teams so sather may have to bite the bullet on this if he truly want Doan on Broadway. Else he may have to 'settle' for Scatchard who would be very attainable for a mid round pick
3) Players who are NOT likely to be moved are Darcy Tucker, Todd Bertuzzi, and Peter Forsberg. All 3 have health issues for starters. The Leafs are still very much in the race, so its doubtful they'd deal one of their leading scorers now. Forsberg has been discussed enough lately so we won't rehash that issue. Bertuzzi is a more interesting case. The Panthers are holding on to their playoff hopes by a thread. In reality they are out of it. They could stand to lose Todd for nothing if they don't deal him but what team would risk much of anything on a player who hasn't played a meaningful game in 4+ months? Therefore we believe the Panthers will retain Bertuzzi and hope to resign him before July 1
4) Another team that is sure to soon to be dealing are the St. Louis Blues. Specifically Keith Tkachuk, Billy Guerin, and Eric Brewer. Of the three Tkachuk has a no trade clause. meaning he will have some say so where he ends up. But he WILL be dealt. Several teams have expressed interest. The most intriguing is a recent rumor that San Jose is interested in bringing in big Keith. That would improve an already formidable line up going into the post season. The Stars are quite interested in bringing back Guerin. They didn't want to lose him in the first place, but in the cap age his salary was beyond what his production afforded. The Stars could definitely use his scoring prowess. Brewer has been rumored to be going to many teams. The defenseman has been a bit of an enigma since arriving on Long Island a few years back. He would be a decent addition for a team in need of blue line depth, but his addition won't change the balance of power anywhere. The Flames are the team we're hearing the most in discussions of Brewer.
5) These are just a few of the players we're hearing a lot about the last few weeks. We will update these and others as the days go by. As always keep it here for the latest!