1) Caution, we are using Stan (The Maven) Fischler as the linked article that spurred this post. He has been shown in the past to be a mouth piece/Puppet for the NHL owners/Gary Bettman. All through out and after the lockout Stan has never wavered in his anti-player/pro-owners stance. Taking frequent jabs at the players such as Chris Chelios who had the audacity to question their union's corrupt leadership. Never once questioning anything Bettman does, but always quick to slam any player who speaks out of turn about the CBA/the NHL head honchos
2) So when Stan makes any statement about the union or the CBA negotiations we listen. Why? Because we believe he is used as a puppet for the owners to get their position out to the public. To periodically throw up trial balloons without the owners or Gary Bettman himself having their own finger prints on it.
3) The folks in NHL headquarters are probably a bit uneasy this morning reading that the union is finally hiring Saskin's replacement. The story going around is that Boston lawyer Paul V. Kelly has the position locked up. Why would they be nervous? Well apparently Kelly, unlike Saskin, wouldn't be an easy pawn to manipulate. Apparently he was involved with the litigation against another former(corrupt) NHLPA head, Alan Eagleson. As a person with impeccable credentials it will be much more difficult to demonize Kelly as they did successfully did with Goodenow, but take it to the bank they will try.(Using their media sycophants/Puppets like Fischler) to do the dirty work
4) Just to review for folks who may be new to the game or forgot; Both the past two work stoppages were initiated by the owners. It was NOT the players who wanted a work stoppage. Therefore when Stan writes that its 'up to the players if there will be any future work stoppages' he is being less than forthright(lying).
5) We agree with some who believe that it would be fool hearty for the players to try to re-open negotiations next year (as is their right under the CBA) Like the last CBA in 1995 when almost everyone believed the players lost big time, only to have salaries escalate significantly, the same seems to be happening once again. Almost universally the media proclaimed the new CBA to be an owners victory. Only 2 years later salaries are averaging the same as they were BEFORE the latest owners lockout. So who won? Judging from some of Stan's and others rhetoric the owners may already be readying their next war against the players.
6) The owners probably felt until this Kelly hiring that they could get away with/try to get significantly more concessions from the players. We at FAUXRUMORS have postulated that the next item the owners may ask for is the elimination of guarenteed contracts(Think NFL) As such, we predict now that Stan will very shortly put out a new blog post blasting the union or warning it for sure to not try to screw with the new faux NHL-NHLPA partnership. Like any good puppet, Stan will do what asked.
7) Update: Even before we had a chance to publish this post Stan did exactly as (asked) planned; he came out swinging in his first discussion about Mr. Kelly. Even before the new NHLPA head has said a single word, Stan already has him pegged as a hardliner: "Since Chris Chelios and Eric Lindros were on the selection committee we can expect the new union's new Executive Director to share Bob Goodenow's militancy. Evidently Gary Bettman manipulated one of his favourite marionettes. You can be sure that this is only the beginning of many more 'performances' to come!