- Washington-VS-Boston: For teams that only play 4 times a year these two don't have any fondness for each other. This will be a very physical series, and not a blow out by any means even for a 1-8 series, as the teams are separated by a mere 12 points. In the end the extra fire power of the Capitals advances them into the second round. Caps in 6
- Montreal-VS-Tampa Bay: Should make for a very entertaining wide open, high tempo series with plenty of scoring, but in the end the superior defense and goaltending of the Habs will prevail over the TB Mullets. Habs in 5
- Philadelphia-VS-Carolina: Sorry Canes fans, after a bit of a rebounding regular season propelling them back into the post season, the Canes will be beat up and ripe for the taking especially by a team like the Flyers who are built for the playoffs. Flyers in 4.
- Pittsburgh-VS-NY Rangers: A rematch from last year's 2nd round match which was won by the Steel town denizens in 5 games. We see a different turn of events this time with an on coming Ranger team that struggled early in the season peaking at the right time and vanquishing the mighty Pens. Rangers in 6.
3) Second Round:
- Washington-VS-Rangers: New Territory to most Caps, while old hat making it this far for many Rangers. It proves to be a classic long series decided by several extra stanzas. This time the Caps aren't intimidated by the playoff atmosphere and win a very tough, long series. Caps in 7
- Montreal-VS-Philadelphia: A rematch of last year's second round. This time the Flyers are the ones who are favoured, and they don't disappoint as they dismantle and intimidate the Habs much like last year. Flyers in 5
4) Conference Finals:
- Washington-VS-Philadelphia: The rematch that many in the nations' capital was hoping for. last season's OT 7 game epic left many on the Caps with a bad taste and hungry to get back to redeem themselves. For the Flyers part they feel they are destined to win it all this year. It turns out to be as exciting if not more than last year, only more is on the line; a trip to the Finals. Again, OT will help decide more than 1 game and possibly the series once again. This time with the opposite result. Caps in 7
Be sure to look for our Pre Season Playoff Winner Predictions-West, which will also include a bonus of our pick to win the 'silver chalice', due out Friday! As always, keep it here for all the latest!