1) The NHL yesterday published the Finalists for their awards to be announced at their annual lame ceremony in Toronto in late June. We already postulated who we believed deserved the Hart last month. http://newfaux.blogspot.com/2007/03/handicapping-hart.html We also did a brief run through on the other awards: http://newfaux.blogspot.com/2007/04/canada-on-top-again.html With the released Final List available we thought we'd do a follow up and go through all the awards as we see them.
- CALDER MEMORIAL TROPHY : Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins; Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh Penguins; Paul Stastny, Colorado Avalanche. Winner: Malkin. Had the most points, will win easily. The surprise is the inclusion of Staal over Kopitar. The ladder had 20 more points. The NHL is in love with everything Pittsburgh this year.
- FRANK J. SELKE TROPHY Rod Brind'Amour, Carolina Hurricanes; Samuel Pahlsson, Anaheim Ducks; Jay Pandolfo, New Jersey Devils. Tough one to call. Brind'amour would be favourite if his team made the playoffs. He by far had the best offensive year of the three. The other two are on excellent teams. Winner: Pandolfo
- HART MEMORIAL TROPHY Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils; Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins; Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks. We discussed this one to death in the alluded to posts. We'll stick with our original sentiment that this year there will be a split vote. Winner Luongo
- JACK ADAMS AWARD (outstanding coach): Lindy Ruff, Buffalo Sabres; Michel Therrien, Pittsburgh Penguins; Alain Vigneault, Vancouver Canucks. Hard choice. Ruff's inclusion is a head scratcher. he won last year, and this year's team improved only modestly. The other two coached teams that were not expected to win. Winner Vigneault. Got most of his team to win division
- JAMES NORRIS MEMORIAL TROPHY (outstanding defenseman): Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit Red Wings; Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim Ducks; Chris Pronger, Anaheim Ducks. Yet another dominating season for the ageless Swede, Winner: Lidstrom. LADY BYNG MEMORIAL TROPHY : Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings; Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche; Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning. Winner: Sakic Joe had an outstanding year at his advanced age, this is a slam dunk vote.
- LESTER B. PEARSON AWARD (most outstanding player as voted by fellow members of the NHLPA): Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins; Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay Lightning; Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks. Winner: Crosby In past years the Pearson and Hart are the same winner. Not this year, as we see another 'split' vote.
- VEZINA TROPHY (outstanding goaltender): Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils; Miikka Kiprusoff, Calgary Flames; Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers; Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks. Winner Brodeur How did Lundqvist get on here?Usually only 3 are in the finals. His overall numbers aren't up there with the other three. If we soly went with the final 3 months, King Hank would win easily. However Brodeur's record setting season has to be recognized
2) Other awards that didn't require voting:
- Rocket Richard Trophy ( Highest Goalscorer) Vincent Lecavalier
- Art Ross Trophy ( League Leading scorer) Sidney Crosby