1) We at FAUXRUMORS decided to wait until the weekend games were over before weighing in on the contests. This blog isn't here to necessarily break down individual games. We do that sometimes, but usually we let other blogs who do an excellent job at the 'x's and o's to do that.
2) Others have already commented on the abortion that was the NHL telecast issue this past Saturday, but we feel we must also comment. As long time observers of the imbecile that is Gary Bettman, we should have seen this coming. Here we have a potentially deciding game. Going into OT(the most exciting pro-sports spectacle) and what happens? The games goes off the air for a horse race that occurred 45 MINUTES LATER!!
3) Can you imagine a baseball LCS game being supplanted in extra innings? Of course not. It would NEVER happen. Only moronic things like this happen to the bush league that Gary Bettman has allowed the NHL to become. Another of a series of dark days for the league. We feel this will only give the proponents of OT shootouts more ammo to push for that nonsense. At the very least you can expect the rules committee to make some recommendations toward that outcome. It may not be enacted right away, but within a decade or sooner it will be in there in some form. When that day occurs we will STOP WATCHING THE NHL!
4) As for the games, we aren't surprised with either outcome. Overall both were exciting contests. Normally you give props to the losing team for 'the good fight' but in the case of Buffalo we can't help but feel they choked. However, they are a young team that will be back there next year. They will need to tweak their roster and add some grit/leadership to their group of talented youngsters. We remain dubious of Lindy Ruff's abilities. Is he a bad coach? No, but he is NOT the second coming of Toe Blake either!
5) We continue to be impressed with the RedWings. Yes, they are losing 3-2, but we didn't see them staying this close with the Ducks this far into the series. The geezers, as we affectionately call them, are definitely making this a series. However its likely the end of the line tomorrow when the series reconvines in Disneyland. The Ducks are big, tough and seem to have the intangiable that the sabres lacked. The Finals if it is the Ducks-Senators, should be very exciting. But we won't get too far ahead of ourselves. the Finals preview/prediction post will take place later this week. The only remaining question is will the Cup winning goal be pre-empted?