1) Wow is all we can say. What an entertaining game this evening/this morning as we saw the Pittsburgh Penguins stave off elimination to extend the series to a Game 6(tomorrow night). So many story lines tonight:
- The injuries to several Penguins most notably Sergei Gonchar. He was their best all around defender all playoffs and he was seemingly lost for good with an injury in the 3rd period. He did not play in the first 2 1/2 periods of OT but miraculously returned to help the Pens PP score the game winner
- The amazing work of M-A Fluery. The oft maligned Penguin keeper stopped 55 of 58 shots thrown his way, including an incredible 24 in the OT sessions. Some in the spectacular category. Can anyone now say that Osgood is the better goalie after tonight's performance?
- The Wings appeared to have the Cup won in regulation. The celebration in the stands anyway sounded like it had started prematurely as fans chanted ' We want the Cup', as time ticked away. However Max talbot had other plans for his team as he knocked in a rebound with a mere 35 secionds remaining to stifle the crowds jubilation.
2) We give the pens tremendous amounts of credit for gutting this one out. We at FAUXRUMORS did NOT give them a shot at winning tonight and they showed us something this evening/morning. They may not win the Cup, but Detroit should now lose that bit of a swagger, and the pens should be a confident bunch that they can indeed skate with the Wing. Detroit has human players afterall.
3) So what happens from here? We fully expect to see the pens come out storming in the Igloo tomorrow evening. The key will be can the Wings withstand the onslought and play their style of game? Can Osgood playbetetr than he did tonight. He wasn't the rereason for the loss, but he wasn't solid looking either. he will need to be if Detroit want to avoid a return to The Joe this weekend. Either way, it should prove to be an exciting contest. Can the penguins stay alive to play another day?.