1) If it weren't for recent NHL history of bending/changing the game to try to placate a vocal minority we at FAUXRUMORS would have found the recent flap concerning PLAYOFF over time humorous. The reason for the discussion even starting was a recent Vancouver-Dallas epic 4 OT game that lasted into the wee hours in the a.m.( 4 a.m. eastern time) Some in the media afterwards complained that games of this length should NOT be allowed. That some sort of set format should be instituted to end games at a 'reasonable' hour, and at a known time frame.
2) Former players, now hockey media idiots like Ray Ferraro were first to jump on board. Ferraro claiming of the 4 OT game: "I was bored". Well Ray, if OT playoff hockey bores you, go home to your ugly wife Cammi and see if she can somehow get a rise out of ya!!
Next in line in the former player idiocy awards go to the line up of the talking brain dead on the NHL's excuse for a hockey network in the U.S., Versus. Both Keith Jones and Brian Engblom came out n favor of some sort of format that could end playoff games with a shoot out!
3) We at FAUXRUMORS were NOT in favor of regular season shoot outs for many reasons, but this was the Biggest reason! Once the idea of a shoot out was in fans' minds, the powers(assholes) that run the NHL would eventually bring it into the playoffs. While the commish even recently said that there would be no shootouts in the playoffs, the initial discussions have apparently started. Probably they would at first use the guise that it was going to shorten games that have gone on to long and have little entertainment value anyway. From there it will be a slippery slope until playoff OT like we current know and love it now will cease to exist!
4) A fellow Blogger at an Islander blog said it well, if not a bit more bluntly than we would: "Message to the members of the media who want to see the shootout in the playoffs:If you don't like staying up until 3AM, here's a clue: go home, you whining douchebag, and shut up. Leave my hockey alone, you fucking twat. It's bad enough they changed everything else to make the less manly men amongst the media happy. If they end playoff games with a shootout, I'm done. I'm not enough of a pussy to enjoy that, sorry. How come no one bitches about baseball games that last until 4 AM? Now THAT is fucking-assed boring. Nine innings of baseball is tedious enough, without seven more- oh, but that's our "National Pastime", whatever the fuck that means. Hockey, though, fuck hockey, only a few people care about that, so let's change it to something people WHO DON'T FUCKING LIKE IT THINK IS A GOOD IDEA. Brilliant!!!!!!
5) Well said! Sadly we believe that OT shootouts are inevitable. The folks in charge will simply use the occasional/rare long OT games as an excuse to weasel them into our consciousness. It will be a VERY sad day when the first NHL playoff game is decided by a silly skills competition and NOT by one of the most exciting things in pro team sports, an NHL playoff OT game winning goal!