- The Forsberg to the Senators rumor. Pure fiction folks! There has been NO discussion with Peter and Ottawa. Its a total work of fiction by the local news paper. Even if the Sens had the cap space(they don't) Forsberg would NOT go there. He and Alfredsson have a history of animosity. If and when Peter lands in the NHL, the most likely destinations are Colorado or Philadelphia, with Detroit the dark horse long shot.
- The Islanders-Bruins swap talk: Total 100% Barbara Streisand(BS) people! Apparently this was started on an Islander blog a few days ago. One astute blogger looked at both rosters and concluded that Bergeron could be a good pick up by the Isles and proposed a possible deal to make it happen. Somehow Eklund picked this piece of trash up and ran with it as if it had validity. (He smartly didn't name names) Perhaps some of his 'sources' are playing him, or more likely he needs as many rumors as he can right now to feed his hungry(paying) customers. The rumor failed to realize that Bergeron is signed to a long term deal and is NOT going anywhere!
2) So what IS being discussed?
- Jason Allison HAS been contacted by several teams. Yes, the Islanders as reported by Eklund last week IS one of them, BUT they along with the other involved teams are not happy with Allison's insistence on a 2+ year deal. After missing so much time its a gamble for a team to sign him for 1 year. I would be idiotic for anything more!
- More retirements? With the retirement of Mike Ricci today a few other players may be getting closer to making it official and submitting their retirement papers. Among these are goaltenders Sean Burke and forwards Rob Dimaio and Travis Green. Among those who are still trying to land jobs are goalie Ed Belfour who is trying to stay in shape in hopes that a team will need his services with an injury, though one has to wonder if he has played his last game.
- Extension fever?: With the extension of 'Sid the Kid' last month, coupled with the offer sheets by Edmonton, we are hearing that two of next summers most attractive potential Group II's, Alex Ovechkin and Dion Phaneuf are negotiating their own extensions with their respective clubs. Our source in DC tells us in fact that "an agreement in principal" is already done to keep Alex the Gr-8 in the nation's Capital till at least 2015! We're told the announcement may come as early as Alex's 22nd BD which is about when camp opens in September. The Phaneuf talks are not as close to completion but going along well so far.
3) We are hearing some other interesting things, but they are still too nebulous to relay. As always keep it here for the latest!