1) Every playoff season we go through this same old tired exercise every time a team falls behind 3-0 in their best of 7 series. The team behind starts throwing out cliche's of how its not yet over. That they have to take it one game at a time, etc, etc. However it would seem the odds are not only against them, but its down right scary how astronomical they are. Take these numbers and crunch em'. In the ENTIRE history of the NHL only two playoff teams in 152 attempts have recovered from an 0-3 start to win a best-of-seven series!!
2) It has been 33 years since that last happened. Ironically it was a second round series (Back then the first round was a quickie best of 3) The 1975 NY Islanders in their only 3rd season overcame a 3-0 deficit to defeat the Penguins. Seems like yesterday, but it was a tad more than 33 years since we watched 'Not- so- Fast' Eddie Westfall slip a shot over the shoulder of Gary Inness with a few mins to play to do the impossible. (They almost did it again in the next round with the Flyers, but succumbed to Kate Smith and the eventual Cup champs-the Flyers last Cup)
3) Before the Islanders improbable run, it was 33 years prior to that in 1942 that the Toronto Maple Leafs defeated the Detroit Red Wings 4-3 to win the Stanley Cup. It remains the only comeback from a three-game deficit in best-of-7 Stanley Cup Finals history -- or, for that matter, in NBA and MLB Finals history. So here we are, 2008, its been 33 years since the last 3-0 comeback. How ironic it would be if it occurred again this year? Right now here are the series that could be in play:
- Pittsburgh -vs- NY Rangers: The BlueShirts staved off elimination last evening. Might they be able to do what their cross town rivals did to Pittsburgh 33 years ago? Like the Isles they have the goalie who could potentially do it. Then it was Glen (Chico) Resch who was 'The man' who carried the Isles. Could Hank become the new King of the come back? We never say never at FAUXRUMORS, but we will stick with our original predictions and expect to see the Pens advance.
- SJ-vs-Dallas: The Sharks were able to get out of Dallas with a close game win on Wednesday night. They return to the Shark Tank tonight to try to extend the series. Thus far the Stars have outplayed/out worked the Sharks in every game (even the one the Sharks won) We believe this is the series to watch for a possible/improbable come-back. Can Joe Thornton shed his playoff dissapearence persona? We could definitly see this as a possible 7 game series and once it gets that far its a 50:50 proposition. Stay tuned as the Sharks are hoping that 33 is a lucky number!