1) With respects to Brittany Spear, its not the (former-?) female singer/entertainer/strumpet we're alluding to, but our old friend Matt Cooke. Of course most are familiar with his "exploits". During his NHL career Cooke has been suspended for several much-criticized hits, some involving head-shots that injured opposing players, most notably ending Marc Savard's career in 2010. Cooke was probably an important factor influencing NHL rule changes intended to deter such hideous conduct.
2) To refresh memories here is a brief "rap sheet" on 'Cookie'
- November 2008 he received a two game suspension for a check to the head of NY Ranger's Artem Anisimov.
- 11/29/08 – Matt Cooke blind-sides Zach Parise into the bench. He chose to still hit him even though the bench door was open
- In January 2009, he received another two game suspension for a hit to the head of Scott Walker.
- 3/16/09 – Matt Cooke’s knee-on-knee hit on Zach Bogosian. Bogosian left the game in the 2nd period and did not return
- 05/18/09 – Matt Cooke’s knee-on-knee hit on Erik Cole. In Game One of the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals, the Hurricanes lost Erik Cole midway through the third period. Matt Cooke caught him knee-on-knee in front of the Pittsburgh net. Cole managed to play only one shift after the hit.
- 02/06/10 – Matt Cooke cross-checks Andrei Markov in the back from behind.
3) Yes, after the last suspension it appeared that Cooke had indeed 'learned his lesson' and 'changed his ways', etc. However, we all know leopards don't change their spots. The hit to Karlsson (seen here http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21697901/video-erik-karlsson-suffers-lacerated-achilles-in-loss ) was no accident as many would like to argue. Although we admit no one can know what was in Cooke's mind at the time, we feel the preponderance of evidence and past wrong doings show a clear pattern. No F-ing way does a player lift his boot and on to the back heel of another on such plays. An accident with 99.99% of other NHL players. Cooke has "earned" NOT getting the benefit of the doubt. And if he wasn't intending to injure Karlsson, then screw you for attempting/succedding on injure so mnay others in your shit career!